Saturday, June 17, 2023

Broadside 2023

The Rejects descended on our most local of shows, Broadside.  Hosted by the Milton Hundred Wargames Club it took place in Gillingham and as usual they organised an excellent event.

In support of this show the Rejects put on their one and only demonstration game of each calendar year.  This year Postie organised, built and painted this superb game as an homage to smuggling in our fair county of Kent.

For infinitely better reports of the game and the show let me refer you to Ray at Don't Roll a One and Lee at Big Lee's Miniature Adventures.

So, just a couple of pictures of Postie's game




A mermaid's (see if you spot them) view of the Kent coast with some giant Rejects looming over the horizon.


I'm not going to show photos of all the great games.  Lee and Ray have done a much better job so have a look on their sites.  

Instead, I am just going to show a couple of photos of one of my favourite demonstration games, the Cold War game set in Germany.


This is not a period I am really interested in.  So, what did I like so much about this game?

Well, it was a beautifully rendered battlefield that gave a lovely nod to practicality and budget. Take the town in the photo below. There is a lovely cohesion, and it was only on close inspection that I realised these were all made from card.


I also loved the eye for detail in the terrain and models.


And in the fields around which the fighting was taking place there was careful thought given to realism and space for game play.


And then onto the Rejects. We never meet and game without a lot of laughter, and Broadside was no different.


My final word has to go to the joy of meeting and chatting to like minded strangers. Such as the lovely customs officer who works in South Africa, but was on a visit back home to the UK and dropped by the show.

Cannot wait until next year.


16 comments:

  1. Posties table is superb, including the two mermaids swimming in the sea! It must have been great fun to ply his smugglers game, and the rest of the show looked great too Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had read Ray's review but didn't notice the two mermaids until now. A great touch. I can see the attraction in the cold war game. Not my period either Richard, but the table looks great and I particularly like the electricity pylons which immediately says it's a modern game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when a game looks like the period being played without checking the figures first.

      Delete
  3. Postie put together a very fine display. I did not know Kent had such cliffs. The cold War game does have eye appeal, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two mermaids? I must be seeing things because I can see two in the water and one (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Diana Does) basking on the beach.
    Superb table fellahs.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Chris. Diana Dors! That dates you.

      Delete
  5. Gotta agree the Hahausen game did look great. Wonder how much money he spent on all those grass tufts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine game for sure and I hadn't spotted the mermaids before, but a great and whimsical touch! The Harry Hausen (sorry it's stuck in my head as this!) is lovely and there are some great free card models out there, as well as plenty you can pay for too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card models seem to last . I have a few that must be nearly 10 years old.

      Delete
  7. An excellent looking smuggling game and like Lawrence I can see the appeal of the cold war gone hot game even if it isn't my period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete