Saturday, March 30, 2024

Revolutionary Wars Austrians Off The Painting Desk

Earlier this year Jonathan Freitag (Palouse Wargaming Journal) very kindly gifted me some 28mm Austrian infantry by Eureka Miniatures.  The figures are in the uniform of the the Austrian army during the French Revolutionary Wars, 1792 to 1797.  The uniform changed round about 1798, with the most notable change being the headwear from the kasket to the (firemans!) helmet.

It would've been rude of me not to push these to the front of the painting queue.  So, here they are.

I have painted them as IR16 Terzy.  A regiment raised in Styria.  They have violet turnbacks and cuffs.  This meant that I had to find and reinvigorate a very old pot of paint.

As my focus tends to be the 1796-97 Italian Campaign, The Terzy regiment fits nicely, having fought at the battles of Voltri, Montenotte, Dego, and at Lodi.

I look forward to these seeing some tabletop action later this year.

In the meantime I hope that Jonathan approves of their finish and for confirming what I already knew, which was the inherent generosity of our wargaming community.


27 comments:

  1. Excellent! I approve! Too bad so many lost their bayonets that the others had to turn theirs in in solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...I did wonder about the bayonetless muskets, Jon...I have had similar issues myself!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jon that affirmation adds to my satisfaction.
      Alas, a number had been lost and/or too fragile so I went for the uniform look.

      Delete
  2. Great work Richard on the very nicely sculpted Eureka figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. High praise from someone with your skill Michal means alot.

      Delete
  4. They look great Richard. Eureka figures are very nice and a thoughtful gift from Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Indeed, a lovely act of generosity.

      Delete
  5. Very generous of Jon and you've done a great paint job on those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed, and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. A great gift from Jon, pretty cool looking they are too! Love the cuff colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic, great painting! Violet facings rather nice, too, and unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking Austrians, clearly we're all doing it at the moment even if mine are in the neoclassical helmet! Funnily enough I'm currently painting figures gifted to me by Jonathan, a very generous chap!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is generous indeed. Austrians certainly seem to be flavour of the month.

      Delete
  9. I generous gift indeed, and you've done them justice under your brush.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Austrians - the "pre-Napoleonic" period looks very tempting, but can't get started in yet another period. A great gift from Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done, tribute to both Jonathan for his gifting and your great brush work. Now all you need is a game for them to showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My plan is for a game with these in the summer or early autumn.

      Delete