Thursday, February 3, 2022

Wooden Hussars and Forest Canopy

The two latest additions to my 6mm MDF French Revolution Rivoli project are both Austrian hussar regiments.  The No 11 Erdody Hussars and the No 30 Wurmser Hussars.


















Unfortunately, neither my camera nor my camera skills are great.  So this is the first of perpetual apologies on this matter.

This second image probably gives a better view of the little MDF troopers.

















There is a surprising amount of detail burnt into the figures.  The sleeves on the pelisse follows the laser engraving.

With these I have almost completed all the figures for the two armies at Rivoli.  So my attention has turned to the terrain.

At this scale I would prefer to show forest canopy rather than individual trees.  Here are my efforts so far.


























Basically, I cut some wire mesh and bend the legs which will get painted a brown colour.





















Dark green or brown felt is cut a little larger than the mesh and glued on.  I first followed a suggestion to use scouring pads, but found this cleaner, easier and gives good results... in my opinion.




















Then various shades of scenic foliage... you know the stuff you can get from railway modelling shops, is glued onto the felt  Spreading the glue on the felt will help stiffen it.

Once it is all dry I spray the foliage with watered down PVA glue to stiffen it ready for abuse by gamers.  This can take a while to dry, so don't expect to use it the next day.



















And here is it with 6mm figures by it.





















2 comments: