Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Koenig Krieg Variation Takes Shape!

... and the shape is a hex!

Being a little behind the curve on hosting remote games, I am now trying to find ways to improve my umpiring output.  Having had the honour to participate in a remote game hosted by Jonathan of Palouse Wargaming Journal, I experienced what a well organised and executed remote game looks like.

The experience of using a hex or grid format for moving and firing seems, on reflection, to make player order giving much easier and clearer, removes the potential for error and even possible player/umpire tension.  I also wanted to use a set of rules that I already use in face to face battles.  That way the mechanisms remain familiar to the participants.

So, the other evening I put on a test game with some Rejects with an Austrian War of Succession scenario.  I adapted Koenig Krieg rules to hex movement and ranges, and played it with only one other adaptation.  I was aware of the possibility of a fast unit moving through the hexes to the front and adjacent of an enemy without the enemy evening getting the chance to react.  So, I put in a zone of control to prohibit this type of move.

An Austrian infantry brigade hold the hill in the centre.  Whilst to the left, the French (2 infantry and 2 cavalry brigades) are tasked to oust them.  Meanwhile, two Austrian cavalry brigades are rushing to support from the right.


The first, and main, problem I encountered was the reflected glare off the table.  The table is just painted and then marked in dots for the hexes.  The paint seems to have a satin sheen to it.

The glare is more marked in this picture.

The view from the hill towards the approaching French.

I was trying to juggle two cameras and find positions that gave a clear view.  So, I didn't take photographs.  But here are a couple of pictures of the situation at the end of the evening.

Cavalry have engaged on the near flank with the heavier Austrian horse prevailing.

French horse frontally assault the hill against fresh and undamaged Austrian infantry... not a good move!

All in all the rules played well and the comment was that they made playing in an 18th century fashion the best way to win.  There was a slight niggle over artillery movement, which has taken me 30 seconds to remedy, and a discussion about squares in 18th century rules - which we have collectively chosen to ignore... squares that is.

The main issues were technical:  cameras positions; glare from the table; and the visibility of the dots.

So, the next steps are:

  1. Try a matt varnish - I have plenty, so that is a free option.  If this works, the camera issue may be resolved.
  2. Join the dots to make the hexes more visible.  I originally went for dots to make them less intrusive, but none of the players said they are bothered about lines over the table
  3. Try a game using non-hex rules to compare.  For this I can lay down my terrain tiles which do not reflect the light.



14 comments:

  1. Good on you for giving remote gaming a try Richard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There is a bit of learning curve, but this was encouraging.

      Delete
  2. Considering this was a first effort it seems to me that it went very well. Only a few minor adjustments required for future games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Lawrence. The players seemed to enjoy the game and provided useful feedback. Hopefully the tweaks we've identified do the job.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. I tried to reply twice now. Did neither make it passed the censors??? Am I SPAM???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what is happening Jonathan. My short experience doing this suggests that we are sometimes working through a rather unpredictable teenager.

      Delete
    2. Oh well. My brilliant replies lost in the ether. Perhaps it was replying from my iPad causing the issue? Please check your SPAM folder. It may be there! When I first published my comment, it appeared momentarily only to disappear on a later refresh. Very odd.

      Let's see. What was I going to add?

      First, thank you for the endorsement of my remote game. I thought it great fun and really enjoyed hosting you guys. Seeing you give it a try is encouraging.

      I agree that grids make so much, so much better especially in a remote game. I prefer the hex approach to squares but that is personal preference, I suppose. Well, that and hexes I find more efficient. While the dotted hexes are something that should be easily adopted by the players if visible, I wonder if I would be seeing dots in my sleep afterwards?

      Delete
    3. Like you Jonathan, I find hex intuitively more satisfying than squares. Spots before the eyes! Yes time to join them up.

      Delete
  4. I thought the game worked very well Rich. Hex is definitely better for remote games, not 100% sure we should play it in the shed, but for you its gotta be a darn site easier, also for us playing it makes it easier. The rules seemed to work fine apart from the artillery moving back, like they did. But i guess that's an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. No I would definitely not play Koenig Krieg hex in the shed. As for the artillery... I've had a thought about that. More later.

      Delete
    2. Grids work very well in F2F play.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking game, Richard. The use of the hexes for movement sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looked good Richard...I am sure hexes or squares is the best option for remote games. We have played quite a bit of TtS and FKAP, and although they include some "gamey" aspects and situations, they certainly have the advantage of no disputes over movement or firing distances! I definitely agree, the lines need to be included...the first image of your table showing the dots looked far too busy, to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very late to the conversation but... I really enjoyed this little test game. The idea certainly has legs and I think all of that that joined in enjoyed it. As with any remote system, I think the speed and play-ability largely depends on the players being quick and precise in the orders they communicate to the umpire. The system you use to run the game is never really going to be the slow part...or at least that's not the impression I got from this test game.

    ReplyDelete