Thursday, June 30, 2022

My Huguenot Army of the French Wars of Religion Revealed

A little slower in the production than the Catholic army due to competing attentions, but here is the completed Huguenot army of Henri of Navarre at the battle of Coutras, 1587... plus a random landsknecht unit.

My starting point for gaming this period is to produce the armies for the battle of Coutras.  Then to enlarge to cover units and battles both before and after.  Well, the armies are now complete.

Here are some pictures.

Cavalry in the front line with "enfants perdus" posted between each unit.  Reiters are on the far right.  Second and third lines contain the infantry.

A closer shot of the Huguenot pistoliers with the arquebusier carrying "enfants perdus" in between each.

From the rear you can see the arquebusier units closest and the pike and shot in the centre line.  The Huguenot armies were always short of pike and often fielded pike light units, or units without pike at all.

Three pike and shot units.

The pike and shot units in front of 15mm Franco-Prussian War figures.  The 2mm figures are from Irregular, the 15mm from Essex Miniatures


Next up is to finish the rules. Essentially this requires completing the cards for the card driven part of the game. So movement and action/event cards.  I'm not usually too bothered one way or the other about card systems in wargames, but felt that after my research this was a great way to inject the period specific feel to the games.  After that I aim to paint more 2mm buildings.


13 comments:

  1. Richard, you built up two armies in record time. Great job! Your FPW French look sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. I'm quite pleased with the 2mm fellows. It means that I can give more time to terrain and to developing the rules. I do need to get the FPW armies out for a game. Probably an autumn or winter activity.

      Delete
  2. Great work there and I love the fact that the bases really match the mat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve for noticing. Just don't look too closely at the wee chappies.

      Delete
  3. Top work Richard. I too love your basing style and the seamless way it matches your gaming mat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several of the advantages of this scale are demonstrated in this post Richard...two armies painted in a couple of months, they take up very little storage solace AND you can have realistically sized games in a pretty small area! I think they are a bit too small for my tastes, because about 80% of my enjoyment of the hobby is aesthetic...so I like a table with scenery of a similar level to a model railway layout, and figures big enough to see the facing colours etc....but I can certainly appreciate the many benefits of these tiny troopers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You mention interesting points, none of which I disagree with. I think 6mm and especially 2mm do bring aesthetics to the hobby. It just moves the emphasis from the uniforms to the terrain and scenery. As the figures get smaller the terrain becomes more significant. So, the hobby aesthetic shifts from facing colours to formations and the world in which those formations interact. The eye is no longer drawn to the miniatures but to the scenery. In this respect it is very like railway modelling. Not better or worse, just different. For me, it has forced me to plan the project in more holistic fashion.

      Delete
  5. Very impressive Richard, I do love the idea of getting big massed games on the table top quickly. Yep, OK, there's not much you can do painting wise, but when they have a decent flag and a unit looks more historically accurate, it ticks all my boxes.
    Then you've got the added bonus if quick painting time and a hell of a lot less storage space. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're impressed Ray because you are going to be helping me playtest the rules soon.

      Delete
  6. They look really good. I think the smaller scales work well particularly for Pike and Shot period, makes those big pike blocks look 'right' somehow in a way that larger figures never quite do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you David. I would agree with you that certain formations benefit from the smaller scales which can represent the sense of mass.

    ReplyDelete