Saturday, February 4, 2023

Camping and Glamping

I was supposed to move onto painting some figures.  However, a couple of unfinished items called to me, both of them 2mm terrain pieces.

First up are two camps for opposing 2mm armies.

I wanted camps/baggage so that if cavalry lost control after a victorious melee there was a target for them to race towards and plunder.

All models are from Irregular Miniatures.

I used compact discs (CD/DVDs) for the bases.  I can't claim original thought here.  The inspiration came from YouTube - follow the link to Prasutagus The Orwell Wargamer and his TYW 2mm camps.  His look better than mine, but I'm pleased nonetheless.

So here is the first camp.  Hopefully you can make out the line of wagons arriving.




This second camp have the wagons parked and the horses grazing.




If camping is not your style then how about this?


This is from Brigade Models 2mm buildings catalogue.  This is sold as a Mediterranean hotel.  However, I think that I might be able to get away with using it as some sort of walled or fortified manor.  What do you think?




Now... I really must get back to painting some troops!



13 comments:

  1. Outstanding work! I agree that your Med. hotel passes as a fortified manor easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stuff Richard. That is what a real camp looks like, and I am loving the different varieties of buildings that you keep finding in 2mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. It does have a nice impact.

      Delete
  3. Cracking work Richard and all too easy to paint or make terrain rather than painting figures, as I know to my cost! The hotel certainly works fine for a fortified manor IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. With less time painting figures, more is available for the terrain.

      Delete
  4. I really do like the scenic items in this scale Richard; because they are so small and don't take up much space, you can model significant sized buildings, that would take up half the table in 28mm. The guys I game with regularly actually have some coastal forts etc amongst the "group" scenery collection, for use with sailing ships of a tiny scale (probably 1/600?) and I have always thought they look really attractive.
    Your camps and the hotel/manor look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I love 15 and 28mm, but the building footprint (unless 1 to 1) always seems a little out. 2 and 6mm appears to redress that issue... I think.

      Delete