Monday, July 27, 2026

More 6mm Austrian Cuirassiers

Some quick painting done in the cooler hours of the day so the paint doesn't dry on the brush!


Two regiments of 6mm MDF Austrian cuirassiers for the French Revolutionary Wars.  The 5th and 6th regiments. Not that you'd notice at this scale.


Figures are from Commission Figurines.

They are on 60mm x 60mm bases.


There is something peculiar going on here.  Can you spot it?


28 comments:

  1. I can't spot the goings on? But the troops do look rather splendid!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Cracking job on the Cuirassiers! That 60mm base really gives a great, dense massed-cavalry effect on the table. You've got me puzzling over what's peculiar—is it that there are two flags per regiment on those bases? and it should be one.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Andrew. Purists might say it's the flags, but these is some licence taken as each is a regiment.

      Delete
  3. These are really well done. Your brush work on a semi flat is excellent. Like the others I don't notice anything peculiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful brushwork, Richard. Hard to believe that these are 6mm figures. Now for your challenge. Looking at the composition, there are things I see that may not be intended. Let me give it a shot...
    - One regiment has black over yellow plumes as expected but the second appears to have solid black plumes.
    - Standard poles are not "barbershop" striped, too long, and the top is a ball rather than spear point. Not that I would paint them striped either!
    - Standards are much too large for cavalry.
    - If this is a regiment then the distribution of colors is wrong. That is, first squadron carries the Leibstandarte and other squadrons carry the Ordinarstandarte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Jonathan.
      I reserve the barbetshop poles for infantry. You are close with the plumes.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work, and very attractive figures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super work on them Richard, they look great and the basing really works so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie. The basing is pleasing.

      Delete
  7. Lovely, I really had to do a double take when I read 6mm MDF!

    Peculiar - is it to with some headgear being the wrong way around with a mix of plumes being on the left and the right had side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on with the plumes. Well done, Norm.
      The plumes are tiny bits of thin card cut and stuck on the hats. It was only after I'd done the gluing that I realised my mistake. But to remove the plumes would destroy the head. So, they stayed. One unit with plumes on the left and the other with the plumes on the left hand side.

      Delete
  8. Great little figures Richard, and they look terrific when based.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More of your mdf delights. So good!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really do look lovely en masse Richard - as for the plumes - just one of those strange and idiosyncratic regimental traditions the Colonel of the regiment instituted! (Like you, they probably just misread a uniform regulation - but having turned up for parade with the plumes in the wrong place, they decided to double down and retain it as a regimental distinction and still wearing them that way in 2026!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith. That's funny. I think that I'll adopt that reason.

      Delete
  11. Beautifully painted there Richard:)! I would never have spotted the plume issue, which speaks volumes I'm sure;).

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts