Monday, September 21, 2026

A Retreat from Moscow Game

A number of us Rejects gathered in Stuart's shed for Lee and Ray to present and umpire a Retreat from Moscow game using Sharp Practice rules.

Stuart and Surjit played the Russians, who were tasked with defending the road and preventing the retreating French from breaking through and continuing the retreat west.

David, Steve and I commanded the French.

This is not really a battle report. I didn't take many photos.  So, just a few pictures to show off the gorgeous game that Lee and Ray organised.

The Russians deployed on the left. They were behind fences, barricaded and in ruined buildings.
The French arrived on the road with each command one behind the other.

Ray's lovely French sledges.

The view from the French side.

French cavalry throw themselves at Russian barricades.

Russians have reinforcements appearing on the French flank.


Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum... I mean, our honoured umpires in a rare moment when us players weren't asking lots of questions and testing Lee's levels of calm.

The finishing positions at the point when the French morale fell to zero.

It was great to all get together with all the usual banter and laughter.

A beautiful looking table with superb miniatures and eclectic units.  Well done Ray and Lee.



31 comments:

  1. Superb looking table, really has a great winter look about it and loads of lovely miniatures on the table too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic game with two legends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look brill. Though go steady with the "legend" bit. You'll make their heads even bigger than they already are!!!!

      Delete
  3. That looks absolutely perfect Richard. It's great to see so many of the figures that Ray and Lee had posted as they painted them and the carpet that they painted as snow terrain worked so well. Of course, we saw this at the show a few months back, but you provide us with a much better, more 'intimate' and closer look at it when it's being played solely by and for you fellas.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be pleased with your comments. This wasn't the same game that was at the show. Figures and table yes, but scenario was changed.

      Delete
  4. The table looks wonderful and chilly with the result that the photo's have a period look to them. Quality gaming time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics Rich!!! I'm pleased we got the troops out for another game, but will need to look at the rules again. I think we broke SP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked fantastic, Ray. You should be proud of yourself.
      As for the rules... I'll leave that for you to discuss.

      Delete
  6. That is a great looking game for sure:)! I tried the rules years ago, but not for me, due to them being too complex for me. Still loads of games love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great-looking game. That is a lot of units for Sharp Practice, but having dedicated umpires would have helped progress things along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great looking game. It's safe to say the rules were broken by the game.

      Delete
  8. Magnificent setup, Richard! The snowy landscape and weathered troops look absolutely Brilliant.

    All the best, Andy"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun looking game Richard but obviously a tough ask for the poor cold and miserable French!

    In the reality I think the French were also thinking that the rules were broken, the Russians were meant to surrender once Moscow was taken. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben. It was an impossible ask. But it looked great.

      Delete
  10. It's a lovely looking game but I am not surprised you have concluded Sharp Practice isn't right for this many units. At least you did not call Lee and Ray Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dummer - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that (I know that this heresy) I don't like Sharp Practice.
      As for your last point... I may have been thinking it!!!

      Delete
  11. Great looking game Lee. Love that wintry terrain. Useful for a WWII game too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are planning to use thecterrain for their Russo-Finnish war of 1939.

      Delete
  12. Lovely looking game, must of been fun in spite of the rules crashing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to look at, not great to play. The company was good.

      Delete
  13. Very impressive figures and terrain. I saw it also on Ray's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts