Saturday, September 5, 2026

No Gaming in August, but plenty of butter and reading

August was a bleak desert for hobby activity, on every front.  However, I can't complain.  The beginning was taken up with stays at Lincoln, North Yorkshire and Bronté country, and the Lake District. The latter was more an homage to Beatrix Potter than Wordsworth - that probably reveals much about my level.

The second half was the annual pilgrimage to stay with my in-laws in Bretagne, France.  

Bretagne/Brittany is famous for a number of things including: crêpes, cidre, butter and high rates of alcohol consumption.  I made sure that I enjoyed daily visits to a crêperie to enjoy the first three on the list, and superb evenings eating and drinking well.

The best place in Concarneau to buy fresh baked kouig amann and gateaux bretons.  The latter being like a bakewell tart but with more butter. The former being a laminated pastry thing made almost entirely out of butter and sugar... amazing fresh and warm from the oven. Terrible for the heart!

My summer reading complimented my getaways.  For Yorkshire, I read Jane Eyre and The Professor by Charlotte Bronté. The former I had read before and remains my favourite Bronté novel.

For my stay in France I read House of Lilies.


Basically telling the story of the Capetian kings of France from the rise of Hugh Capet in 987 to the death of the last, Charles IV, in 1328.  A story that bumps and grinds against the history of England with their Norman and Plantagenet kings.

An excellent account that opens up the idea of playing out some of the many and little known battles fought within France and against their neighbours.

What was great for a history book was the inclusion of maps that located every one mentioned in the text.

With what seemed a fair amount of Wars of the Roses chatter, I decided to acquaint myself better with this bit of my history.  So, onto the Hollow Crown by Dan Jones.


I have yet to read anything by Jones and be disappointed.  This was no different.  He has a way of telling, what is a fairly complex, story in an entertaining, engaging and comprehensible narrative.  His family trees and maps were helpful and complemented the text perfectly. Not once did I get lost amongst the numerous Edwards, Richards and Henrys.

This not a detailed account of battles, though the battles feature... of course!  For me it was a clear telling of the story of the times taken from 1420 through to c.1509.  It compellingly told a story of wars created by the collapse of royal authority.

I would highly recommend both.

I must end by confessing that I quite enjoyed not blogging for a month.  I'm not sure what this says about me?



26 comments:

  1. We enjoy the kouig amman when we visit our daughter and her partner in Nantes, although my heart might have to give it a miss this forthcoming visit, to try and keep it ticking over!!! Dan Jones book is a great book to get a good overview of the whole period and conflict. A perfect primer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kouig-amann is certainly heart attack food, Steve. Hence it is only enjoyed once a year. Plus, I need to save room for the crêpe complet.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an exciting but relaxing month, Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your time away from wargaming table and blog. Is your last question a hint that you may be reconsidering why we blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan.
      I think the question arises from a desire to understand why I blog.

      Delete
  4. Each of us needs a little rest sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A difficult decision Richard. A month of travelling, reading, eating pastries and drinking or blogging? What to do? I think you chose well 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would mind a month of no gaming or blogging if I could swap it for all your travels Richard! I spent a wonderful holiday in Brittany with my sister and parents in the summer of 1976 (I think) and well remember the daily trips to the boulangerie and of course, many savoury crepes.
    If you managed to get through a book about the WotR without getting confused about Richards, Edwards, Stanleys and Nevilles, you are a better man than I, Gunga Din!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a teacher and having the school holidays is both blessing and curse... opportunity to travel but when prices are most expensive!
      Try the book, Keith.

      Delete
    2. I have just requested it via the Auckland library service!

      Delete
  7. Nice break ….. from everything 😀 good to see the thumbs up for The Hollow Crown, it climbs up my reading pile, but always seems to get pipped by something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you while reading and recommending it.

      Delete
  8. I love buttery stuff and they do it well up there in the north don’t they?! My regions speciality is bloody almond cake which is nowhere near as good. Like Keith said, kudos is due for getting a handle on who was who in the war of the roses. Bloody confusing. So confusing that I gave up and started collecting Hundred Years’ War stuff with a less convoluted narrative. Maybe I should try that book you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jones includes good family trees which helps alot.
      By the way, my Breton better half would skin you alive for saying Brittany is in the north. They are very passionate about being west.

      Delete
  9. Spunds like time well wasted, whenever I went over ti see my sister in France, it almost seemed that I was absorbing butter intraveniously, but in a nice way?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a thoroughly rounded holiday Richard. Travel, literature, history. And pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The French treasure their culinary culture, we seem to abandon ours - if I could just get some Lardy Cake ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eating, drinking and reading yourself around some lovely spots as a visitor rather than a tourist (the latter which I find valueless); no wonder you did not miss blogging!
    It's great to have you back though. I understand what you are saying. We need breaks from blogging (just as we do from other aspects of the hobby). Don't let it be a bind or a compulsion, but post when you feel the urge and have something to 'say'. Same goes for visiting others' blogs, I reckon.
    ALL of your past posts have been excellent and well worth a look and read.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. Your kind words are encouraging and your counsel is wise. Much appreciated.

      Delete

Most Popular Posts