Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Aerial Shoot-Out

Rather bizarrely, two years after the the first covid lockdown in the UK I decide to host a remote game via Zoom.

The Rejects hold a weekly "Paint and Chat" Zoom get together, and this afforded me the opportunity.

I chose to do something very simple as a debut.  What I did not want was to become bogged down with handling technology as well as dealing with formations, wheeling etc. of troops.  I also wanted to limited the dice rolling and factors.  So, we did a little World War Two aerial combat.

Only three of the Rejects could make it - Lee, Steve and David.

The rules were very simple, not very nuanced, but enjoyable (from PZ8).  Certainly not the rules I would use if we were playing around a table.  Because of the speed of play, I decided to base it as a series of combats with each player accumulating points and experience.

I wanted this to be more fun than historical.  So, each player had a Spitfire and the play was basically a "shoot-out" in the form of a league.  The winner would be determined by the number of kills and survived sorties.
3 points for a kill
1 point for survived a sortie
In the event of a draw the winner would be the higher ranked player.

I figured the games would go quickly and we'd get in between 4 and 6 sorties.  I was soon disabused of this notion.  I have never encountered such a careful, cagey set of players.  There was good banter, dynamic aerobatics and considerable thinking and pondering.  I guess that this is normal whenever hex movement is introduced alongside a third dimension.  In the end, we got three games in.

The fight is on.  The smoke from Lee's plane shows that he has already been hit and is dangerously damaged.

Birds eye view... a very high bird that is!

David is desperately trying to escape Lee's attention.


David's only hope is to try to survive the sortie by reaching the Stella Artois of Safety.

The results
Steve got an early kill but was quickly shot down in turn.  One kill, so 3 points.
David survived one sortie and got a kill, so 4 points.
Lee after being killed in the first sortie become absolutely deadly with three kills in total, surviving one sortie and reaching the honour of an average pilot gained him 10 points.

The rules worked perfectly in this setting.  I enjoyed the occasion, and the decision to keep it simple with rules and hex movement really meant that the focus was on the game not on the technology or my attempts to adapt to gaming with it.



Next time I may try using a more complex set of rules which I think may have some merit for remote Zoom games.  Again, not a set I'd use at a live table, but Check Your Six with it's movement plotting may have some potential in the Zoom arena.  Not sure, just mulling it over.

The mind is pondering over the possibilities.


12 comments:

  1. Richard, great to see you giving remote gaming a go! We regularly use WWI dogfights in remote games and that works very well.

    Playing on a hex helps in remote gaming but is certainly not a requirement. How did the fellas like the remote gaming experience?

    If interested, I would be happy to host a remote game for the Rejects. I have been doing this for over a year now and may have learned a trick or too that could be passed along through experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jonathan.
      The guys seemed to really enjoy the experience. If the expressions on their faces was anything to go by, they were certainly heavy engaged with it.
      That is a fantastic invitation Jonathan. I am sure that the Rejects would not want to pass up such an opportunity. We would certainly enjoy learning from your experience so that we can develop part of our wargaming repertoire.

      Delete
  2. I always find WWI and WWII aerial games quite relaxing and that they are much lighter than other forms of gaming, so it seems to me the perfect choice for the first Zoom game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. That's an interesting comment. Now you say it there is something different about the aerial games. I wonder if using hex, in my case, takes a lot of the heat out of potential disputes. Rules often demand precision to which there is no interpretation... I don't know. I'm just rambling now.

      Delete
  3. I highly recommend the Wings of War/Wings of Glory system! Found it very easy to run via Zoom with up to five players for a great Friday night gaming session, using just my iphone on an overhead swivel mount & a laptop. Have to admit it got sweaty for me at times, making all the moves & so on. The mechanisms, pre-plotting three moves & damage cards, works really well. It was a hoot & we had enough time left over to chat for a bit. Ran an almost weekly game for about a year and a half, never knowing how many would make it until the day of our Game Night. Our Collective Collection has grown exponentially. There's point systems out there that actually works & make it easy to set up a, as we call it, "Fair & Balanced" scenario. (I got set up & photo briefings down to about an hour or so in my hay day.) Then Covid isolation fatigue set in & my table became buried in detritus ~ much still waiting sorting out. We still get together most Friday nights to talk about Music & Life & share good beer together. The WW II system should work as well. We just didn't get that far. Or to the War of the Words options. Hope this gives you some ideas for easy & fun aerial remote gaming options.
    ~ Tom T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice Tom and much appreciated. I'll look into your recommendation in greater depth.
      As for tables getting buried in detritus... that is an alarmingly regular occurrence in my household. I think that I am the only one in my family that understands the concept of the man cave.

      Delete
  4. Love the simple pipe cleaner smoking damage effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sgt. It is often the simple things that work.

      Delete
  5. Shame I missed the game, it looked a lot of fun. I was flying high myself at the time, with vertigo, not sure what's going on, this is the third time in about 6 months, its not nice!
    And yes Jonathan the Rejects would love for you to host a game for us!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you couldn't make. Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  6. Very nice looking models Richard...don't you have any Messerschmits to take on the RAF? Our group has also occasionally played Wings of War with all the very nice pre coloured plastic models available from the rule creators...always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes I have plenty of Messerschmits. However, it was just a fun evening and I wanted the odd number of players to have the same number of planes and with the same stats for fairness in a league setting

      Delete