Thursday, March 10, 2022

Revolutionary Wars - Artillery Reinforcements

Just a small addition to the French and Austrian forces lined up against each other in my Rivoli 1796 project.  Though it should be said that the usual disease of wargamers megalomania means that this is starting to broaden out into the whole 1796/97 campaign in and out of Italy.

The figures are the 6mm MDF flats from Commission Figurines.


French limber team


French limber team from a slightly more rakish angle


Austrian battery, plus limber.


French artillery to the left and Austrian battery to the right.  Essentially, one gun model indicates horse artillery, two guns is foot artillery.

For the pedantic you will see that the French gunners are not entirely accurate - the hats especially.  But sometimes a compromise is fine.  After all they are MDF, 6mm and flat.  Plus, most of the players won't notice once it's on the table anyway.  I think that their simplicity has a charm of its own.

 

18 comments:

  1. Richard, megalomania is having FRW collections in both 28mm AND 6mm! Results look excellent and I agree that the figures carry a charm all of their own. Are you planning to fight Rivoli in 6mm rather than in 28mm or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to concede on that point Jonathan.
      I'm planning to do Rivoli in 6mm. I'll love to do it in 28mm but have neither the space nor sufficient models to do in the larger scale.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on those figures and I'm a big fan of the Commission Figurines range, with their unique charm as you say:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Richard! On the artillery especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look brilliant. I've been mulling over whether to do Napoleon's campaigns in Italy so will be following your progress with great interest. I have an order of Commission 6mm on the way and am really looking forward to seeing how they paint up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliment. I've painted all the units for the Battle of Rivoli (Jan 1797) and I'm now starting to organise painting of other units present in the Army of Italy and the various Austrian forces.
    I am interested to see how you get on with the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, your comment is most appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Nice figures and blog! Found out about your blog via Jonathan's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. It seems that we have a common interest in FPW.

      Delete
  8. Good looking finish for such small figures, they are charming!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. These mdf flats do look...."charming" as other have said...almost like the soldiers from Pippin Fort in the seventies kids TV series Camberwick Green!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh... yes, you are right. Why didn't I see that before! I'm going to have to see if I can paint up Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb!

    ReplyDelete