Sunday, May 1, 2022

The Catholic Army on Parade

The Catholic army has been completed and here is the result.  All figures are from Irregular Miniatures' 2mm ranges.

This is the full army set in array.  The gens d'armes forming the first line with French pike and shot units and a Spanish tercio in the second and the Swiss pike in the third line behind some artillery.  The town is made from the excellent 2mm buildings from Brigade Models.  They are from their Mediterranean range.  I have some of the medieval/renaissance buildings for this period waiting to be painted.


A closer shot of the lines.



A view from the rear ranks.



The Spanish tercio.  I'm not sure that I am happy with this.  For impact, I'm inclined to make the pike block larger.  I'll ponder on this.



The photo is more blurred than I thought, sorry.  Here is a birds eye view with a tape measure down to give a sense of scale.  Basically the gens d'armes line is 60cm long.



A closer view of the rear of two of the French pike and shot regiments.  
The French constantly struggled to find enough pikemen, so often had units with a large proportion of shot.  The Huguenot foot often had no pike at all!
These two represent the Catholic/Royalist old bands or regiments and have a proportion of 2:1 - essentially what was aimed at.  The raised Catholic regiments and bands often had a ratio of 1:1.



Here's a photo of the two foot units with a 15mm French Franco-Prussian War unit behind it for scale comparison.



And... the same units with a tape measure as well.



This picture shows three units of gens d'armes as viewed from behind.


I should at this point say that my mustering of both Catholic and Huguenot armies are based on the Battle of Coutras, 20th October 1587, with the express intention of using that as a foundation from which to expand.

My army list for the Catholic army at Coutras is not perfect but this is as best as I can make out.

Commander:  Ann, Duc de Joyeuse

Joyeuse's Gens d'armes
Lavardin's Gens d'armes
Montigny's Gens d'armes
Mercurio's Stradiots
Picardy Pike and Shot Regt.
Tiercellin Pike and Shot Regt.
Cluseau Pike and Shot Regt.
Verduissant Pike and Shot Regt.

Now to get on with Henri of Navarre's Huguenot army.



19 comments:

  1. They look great Richard and as with 2mm, you really do get the feel of a large battle:). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Steve. I can't wait to see what two armies on the table will look like.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive display, Richard! You could field very large battles in 2mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Large battles are what I am hoping for.

      Delete
  3. Terrific work Richard. Very impressive. I always think towns look great at this scale as well. They really give the impression of urban density, rather than just two or three buildings in close proximity which is normally all you can fit on the table for larger scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Usually I use buildings a scale lower than the figures I am playing with, just for the effect you have mentioned. The 2mm buildings shown are what I would use with 6mm figures. However, with 2mm figures I think keeping to scale on the buildings work.

      Delete
  4. The armies look surprisingly effective when all laid out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do don't they. Individually they are just blobs, on mass and at wargamer distance they look like an army... I think.

      Delete
  5. Bravo ! they look brilliant , very impressed .

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look very impressive Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit, with a three foot square card table the limit if my home based gaming, I can see the benefits of this this tiny scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would certainly be plenty of scope for battles in 2mm on the card table.

      Delete
  8. Neat to see the 2mm army arrayed. Your 15mm FPW figs are impressive too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dean, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done these marvellously well Richard! I really enjoy Irregular's 2 mm range too (as you know) and it's wonderful to see them painted and based as well as you have done. The buildings and woods look excellent too.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too kind James. 2mm always looks better at a distance. I must confess to being pleased with the buildings and woods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fantastic. How did we not 'discover' 2mm earlier?!?

    ReplyDelete