Sunday, April 24, 2022

Some Thoughts on my French Wars of Religion Rules

When I had finished my lengthy pondering about starting the French Wars of Religion as a wargaming project, one of my first and significant periods of reflection and energy was about the rules.  Yes, even before buying the miniatures.

Having already looked around, I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing that really satisfied me or had everything that I wanted.  This was doubtless made more difficult by deciding to proceed in 2mm.

It wasn't a hard decision to write my own rules.

I began with first principles and drew up some design guidelines:

  • No figure or base removal.  This was a no brainer really.  At 2mm, a base was going to represent a formation.
  • Everything should be centred around two attributes: unit quality and the unit's cohesion.  All my reading to date really highlights these as determining factors.  Quality will remain the same, but cohesion levels will ebb and flow during a battle.  This means that all tests, movement, firing, morale and combat will be hanging on these two attributes.
  • Morale grade is not a factor in itself but the sum of the unit's quality and cohesion.
  • Use six sided dice only.  I'm not opposed to using a range of dice (my own WW2 aerial rules use d6, d8, d10,d12 and d20s) but just wanted to reach for the dice... not decide which dice to reach for!  In most cases decisions should be determined by rolling 2d6 - i.e. 2-12.  I need the bell curve if I am going to pin everything on quality and cohesion.  Essentially both quality and cohesion have settled into a 5 to 1 range, with 5 being the top.  So a veteran unit (quality 4) with a cohesion level of 5 will pass a morale test on 2d6 with a score of 9 or under, so 83%.  However, if the same unit's cohesion has dropped to 2 then the pass is 6 or under, which is 41.6% and not so good.
  • As few markers/counters as possible.  Impossible to have none, but I think 2mm figures will be overwhelmed by too much clutter on the tabletop.
  • I want to introduce cards to give the players extra decision making, not just in moving their troops, but in playing event cards and trying to win initiative.  So the idea is that cards can influence events, but they also come with a value; this value can be used to bid for initiative, but it may mean not being able to use that card to influence an event.  I hope that the basic rules will provide a flavour of the period and the conflict, but the cards will (fingers crossed) have specific references that will enhance that feel for the warfare and the times.

Basically I ended up writing the rules before I purchased the figures.  They are under constant personal review and have yet to be used in anger by anyone else, other than solo on my dining table.

No rules are written in a vacuum and my thinking has no doubt been influenced by rules that I have read, played or seen reviewed.  There is seldom anything entirely original.  I also understand that further research may impact on my design.  I'll keep you all posted on how these develop.


14 comments:

  1. Interesting concepts in what you have revealed here Richard....I look forward to hearing more about how your ideas work in practice with some figures on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice overview of your rules, Richard. Something for me to keep in mind if I ever do something in this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I'll keep an eye out just in case.

      Delete
  3. They all look like sensible consideration to me Richard. I personally like figure removal as it helps me to visualise when a unit is taking casualties, but that's not something you're going to do in 2mm and with the number of figures in each unit the difference would be negligible anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Lawrence. I like and use figure removal (or casualty markers) as well, but just seemed like inappropriate at this scale. But on the otherhand, I didn't want the rules to become DBA-esque... not that I have an issue with DBA.

      Delete
  4. Interesting idea about bidding for the use of event cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and my apologies Peter, I didn't explain myself well. The cards are event cards which can be played to force a situation or impact an event. However, those cards each have a value. To win the initiative in movement the players will have to use the card values to outbid the other player for control. However, whatever cards are used to bid for initiative cannot be used to influence events. In short, the players have to judge what is more important in that turn - influencing a particular/specific event OR controlling the movement.

      Delete
  5. All sounds good to e Richard. Looking forward to a game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to have a test game with some of the Rejects after Lee has done his show game.

      Delete
  6. Great to read how you are approaching this project in terms of the rules Richard. Looking forward to more updates on this as and when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're interested Steve. I find it stimulating to have conversations around rules and mechanics.

      Delete