Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Becoming a Chatelain

In a hobby you never "need" anything... you "want".  However, whether it's a want or need... I "need" fortifications for my French Wars of Religion period.  Castles were present at battles like Arques, though many also had the latest military architecture added to them such as hornworks, bastions and ravelins.

I've started by painting this 2mm castle I acquired from Brigades Models.

All the towers and walls come separately, and the keep comes as a single model.


The attentive ones amongst you will have noticed that there is no gatehouse on the outer curtain wall.  I have another order on it's way with another gatehouse section, more walls, roofed round towers, plus hornworks and ravelins to allow for a 16th century upgrade.

For comparison, here it is next to 28mm figures.


And a birds eye view.  I was originally planning to paint the tower roofs terracotta, but further research led me to go for the slate instead.  


 Unlike the outer walls, I based the inner bailey as a single model.  


However, I have kept the keep unattached so that I can swap it in and out.


Here is the keep on it's own base.


And with those 28mm figures for size comparison...


... and with a 2mm pike and shot unit.


My intention with the painting and basing of the component parts was to maintain flexibility in how the castle could be combined and used to represent multiple fortifications rather than any one specific.

As you can see, I have based the walls and towers to permit a range of angles.



And finally, all the separate parts.


I'm now just waiting for the next order to arrive (postal strikes permitting!!) to add to the walls and give it the possibility of a 16th century face lift.  I may even cut a couple of the incoming walls to give me some half and one third lengths as well.


17 comments:

  1. This is a neat model and well-executed too! I like seeing your pike block up close positioned in front of the castle. Up close, the pike block offers up an impressive model too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work indeed on a lovely little model, Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Richard! The castle looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good looking and versatile model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking work on that castle Richard! It really does highlight how 3D printed masters have improved the detail and quality of terrain for the smaller scales. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this on the table at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Steve. I'm looking forward too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. I have to confess to being rather pleased with how it has turned out.

      Delete
  7. A terrific little model Richard, and the way you have based the walls certainly gives it some flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks excellent. I like the fact you've kept it modular. It'll give us a chance to wobble the table with our big bellies and knock it over! 🤣

    ReplyDelete