Friday, January 6, 2023

Small Steps

A mix of little things.

First off, three catholic gendarme units and two of stradiots to add to the 2mm French Wars of Religion collection.



Secondly, I've been playing around with handling roads at 2mm.  I've seen all sorts, including the use of coloured string.  I didn't want roads (or rivers) carved into my tiles. Plus, I like to maintain some flexibility of arrangement.  So. I've done this road leading to the town.


It's made from lolly pop sticks.  I'm working on the basis that a lot of roads were tree or hedge lined.


To stop them sliding, I've glued little waste bits of felt underneath.


Yes, they do sit a little proud. But they blend nicely and serve the purpose.  I've also found that the rounded ends help for curves, junctions, and are barely noticable in a straight line.


More roads now need to be done.... better eat more lollies!  Plus, additions to the castle have arrived.

Ever onward!


18 comments:

  1. Nice stuff Richard....seems I a, not the only one using craft supples to create terrain at the moment, the lolly stick roads look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Craft knives and glue at the ready.

      Delete
  2. Good idea to use felt on the underside to stop slipping. The roads are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roads look good, Richard, and perfectly suited to your scale. Nice combat unit additions too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I am quite pleased with how they work with buildings and figures.

      Delete
  4. Lovely units and roads too Richard. The latter was one thing that I could never solve to my satisfaction from a visual point of view. I'd suggest using rough sandpaper instead of felt to stop the sticks sliding around, as it will allow them to sit virtually flush with the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve. I like your idea about the sandpaper. I'll give that a test run.

      Delete
  5. Some great additions to this project Richard. The roads look great and the cavalry looks very impressive arrayed en masse like that. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lawrence. Your words are very encouraging.

      Delete
  6. The figures look fab Richard, as do the roads. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Ray. Looking forward to seeing your 2mm output.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both troops and roads look great! Tree-lined roads are of course very redolent of France - I think some say they were introduced by Napoleon, to allow shade for his marching troops, but I suspect that is an urban ( or rural!) myth and they are much older.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever. Your model making skills are impressive.

    ReplyDelete