Wednesday, October 25, 2023

For your Perusal: Rules for the French Wars of Religion in 2mm

Having embarked on the period of the French Wars of Religion in 2mm I was faced with the pleasant job of coming up with some rules to reflect my research and understanding.

Swiss Pike.

I began by establishing some principles that I felt were important.  These were:

1. Victory and defeat was often determined by the cohesion of the units and armies, not by the number of casualties.

2.  Quality matters.

3. Manoeuvring was difficult.

4. No casualty removal.

I quickly realised that what I was writing was quite generic in itself.  So, I decided that the way to add the period specific flavour for the French Wars of Religion was through the use of the Commander Cards and Action/Event Cards.  The latter being drawn from and based on events that actually occurred during conflicts in the 16th century.

With the help of the Rejects, we played some games to test what had been produced to hone the rules further.  See the following reports:

The Battle of Le Truc

The Battle of Le Truc (Ray's report)

The Battle of Coutras

The Battle of Coutras (Ray's report)

French Wars of Religion Play Test

Whilst far from perfect, and under constant review, improvement and development, please find the rules here, or go the tab above, and feel free to have a look and comment on them.

14 comments:

  1. With criteria of emphasizing
    1. Cohesion of units and armies.
    2. Quality matters.
    3. Maneuvering was difficult.
    4. No casualty removal.
    ticks all of the boxes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with Jon - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant work Richard! Send them off to Osprey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the use of action and event cards to add the historical flavour. I'm sure the group will get years of pleasure out of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I think the cards do lift the rules and game play.

      Delete
  5. Your criteria sounds great - I agree about using cards too. I recently played a game (Tribal), that pretty much used card draw for the whole system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. The cards mean that a same scenario can be played many times with very different experiences.

      Delete
  6. Very interesting, always nice to see a Swiss keil, it does remind me though that I have a half built one in the cupboard for a number of years now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete