Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Battle of Bassignana 1745 AAR - Face to Face with Better Generals

With Jonathan at Palouse Wargaming Journal hosting another of his wonderfully conceived remote games, I happily took on the role of the defending Piedmontese in this battle.

Rejects Lee and Steve commanded the attacking Gallispan army.

For a full background to this game I will refer you to Jonathan's post Bassignana-1745.

All the screen shots are taken from my side of the table and the account from my view.  I would suggest a visit to Jonathan's blog for a better and fuller account.

The starting depositions.  All units are on reserve orders ready to spring to life at advantageous moments!  My light infantry unit are currently hidden from view in the woods by the river on the left.

The Gallispans have advanced.  Meanwhile I have started to redeploy my dragoons from right to left.  Alas, due to a failure to get one out of reserve they have not moved as far as I had hoped.

The Franco-Spanish begin crossing the River Tanaro.  At this point I spring my ambush with the light infantry; firing into the two columns on my far left.  At the same time, the Piedmontese cavalry bound forward to dispatch another infantry in column.  This probably represents the high point of my game.

The light infantry's musketry disperses one enemy unit.  However, weight of numbers overwhelms their position in the woods.  Alas, the cavalry are also destroyed by artillery fire.  The Gallispans have now established a nice infantry line on my left.

With the Gallispan commanders moving their units carefully, they are able to nullify any advantages from my holding units in reserve.  They quickly take Rivarone from the guarding militia unit.

A mistake, amongst a number of them.  I have split the dragoons trying to leave one in reserve to aid the defence of Bassignana whilst the other supports the units on the hill.

With much better tactical awareness, the Franco-Spanish commanders isolate Bassignana and spring forward with their horse - mauling one dragoon unit and destroying another that was foolishly sent to help. The conflict in the centre continues, but is really now of little consequence to the game.


The last dragoon is destroyed and the enemy horse is crossing the river in force on the right.


The Gallispan cavalry have reached the pontoon bridge after my roll to bring on reinforcements failed.

Bassignana is assaulted.  The King and what's left of his infantry are ejected.

After one last desperate attempt to recapture Bassignana ending in abject failure and with other commanders either dead or their brigades broken, further resistance is futile.  So, the field is conceded to the gallant Franco-Spanish army.

Final Words
I really enjoyed the game and the challenge.  So, credit to Jonathan for his planning.

Any plan I had quickly unravelled in the face of two commanders who handled their troops extremely well while I made a number of mistakes. Kudos to Lee and Steve.

I would certainly play this game again... but differently!



23 comments:

  1. I am pleased you enjoyed the game Richard, even though it sounds like you had a rough day at the office...I think we all have those games now and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rough day Keith. Good job I was commanding little metal men and not real troops.

      Delete
  2. Excellent report-out, Richard! Having you back at the gaming table was great fun for me. As always, you take defeat in stride and in good humor. What might have been? I suppose that is a question to answer when we return Bassignana. You inspire me to get cracking on my own version of events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big thank you to you Jonathan. It must a great scenario for me to take that pounding and still want more.

      Delete
  3. It’s a tricky task for the defence. Hard luck coming up against two very able opponents Richard. No shame in losing to those two gents.
    Chris/Nundanjet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, do you have flashbacks to Fornovo?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chris. They were really on top form.

      Delete
  4. Jonathan's games always pose a good challenge. Looks like another fun one Richard, even though you finished second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had the "3 F"s required for any wargame: Fascinating, fun and frustrating.

      Delete
  5. Seems like you still enjoyed the game despite the tough outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Neil... and I was still thinking about the next day as well.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Kudos to Jonathan for the scenario and look.

      Delete
  7. Well things didn't go your way this game Richard, but at least you achieved a historical outsome, which is my default excuse when getting beaten;)! Fingers crossed your next outing will be better for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking Steve. I believe that makes me the winner then!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. Very nice gaming - Jonathan's remote GMing for players spread far and wide is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Dean. I concur with your comments.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a challenging situation. Seems to me that having elements in reserve to react was sound in intent. The friction of actual execution sometimes doesn't fulfill that intent. I suggest that you take the low road and blame the dice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Ed. My dice rolling was diabolical.

      Delete
  10. I don't think your dice rolling abilities helped at all though Rich, (as per usual) Unfortunately we'll have to start calling you Richard the unlucky pretty soon???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough only online. I can never match everyone else who seem to roll so well when playing remotely.

      Delete

Most Popular Posts