Tuesday, June 11, 2024

The King is Dead... and so is his dice rolling!

The Rejects returned to refight Jonathan's Battle of Bassignana, 1745.  Find the first encounter here.

The sides remained the same, Lee and Steve as the Gallispans. Me, being joined by Ray, commanding the defending Piedmontese.

Jon will no doubt do a thorough and impartial report. But let me cut to the chase. The Piedmontese were even more quickly put to the sword than in the first battle. Only Ray on right flank was able to halt the tide. Meanwhile, the king (me) was overwhelmed by Lee's masses and by my own incredibly poor (understatement) dice rolling.

By the end of the game both the king and my dice were deceased! The d10 will be given a Viking funeral... trust me, incineration is too good an end for them.  No dicing Valhalla will grant them entry.

Not many screen shots I'm afraid.  The brevity of this report represents an inverse relationship to the size of the humble pie I had to consume during this and our first game of Bassignana.

The initial deployment.

Our plan was to, as much as possible, deny the Gallispan's space by contesting their river crossing at the bank.  Alas, an inability to get all the necessary units out of reserve slowed this process.

The Gallispans were clearly concentrating their attacks on the flanks.  The one against our right as a pinning operation to stop much needed troops redeploying to the weaker Piedmontese left.

Lee's Spanish pushing out from the river bank and opening the King's lines (such as they existed - one cavalry, one infantry and a light infantry unit).  Meanwhile, Ray gamely and ably resists Steve's French on our right and keeps him there.

The Spanish sweep through the King's command.  The king is killed, and the pontoon bridge is now open to them.  With certain victory now assured, the Piedmontese concede defeat.

Ray did well with his cavalry and his guard and grenadier units to hold the French tide on the right.  However, I cannot tell you how many ones and twos I rolled.  It was certainly a "special" evening for me.  But I must not take away the credit due to Lee and Steve for playing an excellent game, and using their advantages to great effect.  Kudos to you gentlemen.

Well done to Jonathan for superb umpiring and being a genial host.

My only comfort is that the more I play, the more my dice should at least tend towards the average.


22 comments:

  1. Richard, your report is short and (bitter) sweet. You had a tough time throughout and Lee and Steve played a very good game. Fortune favored them again. Ray made a remarkable stand on the Piedmontese right. I think we need to pair you with Steve and see if the two extremes can somehow cancel one another.

    Very enjoyable game to watch the game unfold but I certainly felt your anguish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. One hopes that my extreme will even out. However, joining someone with better luck may help... not sure how they would feel about that though.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear Richard, the dice certainly are not pro-Austrian it seems! Let's hope the law of averages turns in your favour soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like some bad dice rolling Richard, and not the first game at Jonathan's where that has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a real tough game. Your dodgy dice obviously didn't help, but I'm not sure what we could have done to win to be honest, apart from knobbling Lee and Steve's drinks that evening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes if the dice don't roll for you there is little you can do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Neil. The best plan can collapse under the weight of bad luck.

      Delete
  6. Excellent review of the game. You always had an uphill task but your dice were the final nail in the coffin. Immolation is too good for them! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Jon suggested on a comment on his blog: ‘are you having flashbacks to Fornovo Chris?’
    The answer’s ’yes!!’
    It’s tough facing all those Spanish and French at the best of times.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the dice just take a hand.. I just try to think of it as representing your subordinate commanders not responding to your orders, or their troops being 'browned off' because the rations didn't arrive, etc. 'Friction' , I suppose. Whoever plays the King on that Piedmontese left has a tough job in this scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed David all those things apply. I'm still going to burn them though.
      By the way, it was good to see you at Broadside.

      Delete
  9. Great looking game of a battle and war I know very little about - although I understand the period had a lot of "succession" wars going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Short report with a heavy loss: the majesty himself. I hope that he will perform better in September at Quistello to bring my French into safety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think there was a lot you and Ray could have done to reverse this result Richard, your below average dice rolling notwithstanding.
    There was at least one reversal of history in the series of games Jon facilitated, but I can't recall how the Piedmontese managed to come out on top?

    ReplyDelete