Monday, April 18, 2022

Beginning to Muster the Catholic Army

Here is a little peek at a couple of infantry units that I have completed.

This was as much a test of how to paint and base them as anything else.

I am aiming for the overall appearance of a unit's formation.  In this example, the stands represent Swiss in their three column attack in echelon with skirmishers just proceeding them.  The Swiss were in regular pay of the French monarchy.  So invariably fought on the side of the Catholics in the French Wars of Religion.  Well, certainly until Henri of Navarre became king... but the situation was already becoming more complicated before then anyway.

As you will see, 2mm models do not make for good photographs.  Nor should one look too carefully at the paint work.  This is all about blobs and impressionism.


You can see that I have given the units an oversized flag.  It helps for recognition and I always like bigger than scale standards.

Side view.

The two Swiss units.  Hopefully you can see them each in three columns in attack echelon.  The black sections on the bases are for me to place a unit identity key.  At this scale it will also help players identify which way the unit is facing. i.e. the unit code is always at the rear.

Apologies for the dark photo.  Hopefully this rear view shows the echelon a little better.


This is part for Jonathan of Palouse Wargaming, and all others that are getting on their bikes.

A couple of pics from a recent bike ride to see the pear blossom in the fruit orchards.  Not quite the big sky and scene, but it helps me breath a little.



Hopefully the painting production line can start turning out more units... in my usual slow manner.


19 comments:

  1. You know, your tiny pike blocks pretty good based as you shown. It might be enlightening to show another object alongside to get a sense of scale. The colorful banners really help the stands 'pop'.

    Thanks for the Spring cycling photos! With luck, I will be back out soon. I have been confined indoors on the trainer this week due to a daily dusting of snow. Friday saw two inches of the white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'll put some other scale figures with the next batch I post. In the meantime, it might help to know that they are based on 60mm x 30mm MDF bases.
      Fingers crossed that the weather allows you to get back out on the road.

      Delete
    2. 60x30 bases? Yeah, that helps with my scale visualization.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Jon, Richard. Once painted and flagged, the tiny units look fine...it's all about perspective and for large scale battles, smaller scales have obvious advantages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are right. It's just a matter of understanding the scale what I want out of the gaming experience.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. When are you going to make an investment?

      Delete
  4. A great start there Richard. I found with my 2mm blocks that you need quite bright colours to make them pop when on the table. As you say, impressionistic works best at this scale.

    I must remember to take my camera with me on some of my bikes rides, but it would help if I knew how to transfer photos from my 'phone to my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. You are right about the colours. Whatever you would have painted at 15mm you have to go much brighter at 2mm.

      Delete
  5. These will look great en masse on the table Richard. You can easily tell they are pike blocks and the basing looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so Lawrence. So far so good.

      Delete
  6. They look so cool. Very nice. I look forward to seeing this project develop.

    ReplyDelete