Sunday, February 11, 2024

A Happy Recipient

I was indeed a very happy recipient when Jonathan at Palouse Wargaming Journal, knowing my interests, very kindly and generously sent me a package.

The first item was French Revolutionary Wars Austrian infantry.  These 28mm figures from Eureka Miniatures will fit in nicely with my own collection.  Effectively they will add either one large unit or one with some spares.  Either way, I am thrilled to have them and will be shuffling the painting queue accordingly.

The figures representing Austrian infantry up to about 1798 when the Kaskett was replaced by a helmet.

Image courtesy of Osprey Publishing.

Knowing that I have an interest in and collection for the Franco-Prussian War, Jonathan correctly thought that I might enjoy reading through the rules set, 1866 by Bruce Wiegle.  I strongly suspect that Jonathan is trying to ensnare me into starting this as a project.


Well, he has touched a nerve there.  I can't promise anything, but temptation levels are high.  Plus, already being in possession of a Prussian army, half the hard work has already been done... mmm this sounds like I'm talking myself into it... we'll see, I already have more unpainted figures than I can reasonably expect to paint in my lifetime.

As for the rules, I have read them through a couple of times.  I can't say that they are my cup of tea.  There are plenty of mechanics to give the period flavour, but don't excite me personally.  However, the chronology, contextual information and especially the scenarios are a pearl of great price all by themselves.

Whatever I do, I will have fun contemplating and reflecting.

Thank you Jonathan.


13 comments:

  1. Very kind of Jon to gift you some new toys:)! Bruce's books are superb with plenty of information to them, although the rules don't click with me. He tweaked them with his 1870/1871 book on the FPW IIRC. Personally Bloody Big Battles really tick all the boxes, both games wise and scenarios that can be finished in a say 3-4 hours. Worth checking out BBB if you are into this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very kind. The scenarios are great. I will have to try out BBB. Thanks Steve.

      Delete
  2. Richard, you are welcome! The package dispatched your way was in response to your recent generosity to others. Besides, we must not let your Lead Pile fall by much. I think I will count these against reducing my Lead Pile, though.

    I agree with Steve on Weigle's books. While I have not actually used the rules in anger, all of the books are treasured as comprehensive reference materials for the periods. In fact, if I was collecting a Top 10 wargaming books, Weigle's 1859/1866/1870 books would be in my Top10, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Jonathan. I'm sure this does not count as dodgy accountancy.

      Delete
  3. If you already have the Prussians, then surely you have to do the French Richard. What scale is your Prussian army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I have the French and Prussians in 15mm for FPW. As I can use the Prussians, it's whether I dive into the Austrian army for the Austro-Prussian War of 1866.

      Delete
  4. That was very kind of Jon, to pass them over to you Richard. I'm sure like you said, they'll be jumping the paint queue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eureka do make some lovely figures - hope to see these Austrians painted quite soon Richard - and also looking forward to your new 1866 project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't jump the gun Keith. The 1866 project is still in the contemplation stage.

      Delete
  6. I love the Eureka range! A good pick up!

    ReplyDelete